Pocket is simple and easy to use with one click content is saved and you also have options to email links to Pocket which it will save for you. Saved content can be marked as read or you can delete content that has already been viewed.
Create an account
1. Create a free account by visiting www.getpocket.com and then clicking Sign Up Now. Click Sign up with Google if you have a Google account then select this to speed up the process of account creation and it will also automatically ask if you wish to install the app on your Android phone.
After the app installation on your mobile, login into your account by entering your email address and password whereas if you have Google, simply click the Sign In with Google button.
Once logged in you will be presented with the following menu options to navigate your way around the Pocket app which is similar in appearance to the desktop version. Any items you have saved on the desktop version of Pocket will be synced with the mobile app so you can read those articles you saved for later on your mobile.
- Highlights - this feature creates automatic categories which contain the most popular items you have saved to your List. Please note that items will only appear once you have enough items saved to your List.
- My List – saved items will be displayed in your List. Items are sorted with the newest at the top however you can amend this to show oldest if you wish.
- Content Filters – you can filter content in your List by Articles, Videos, and Images.
- Shared to Me – this option lists items that have been shared with you from a friend.
- Tags – use Tags to organise your items in Pocket. You can use this to filter what items you wish to view by selecting a particular tag.
- Favorites - mark important items as a Favourite.
- Archive – use this option if you wish to file away items that you want to keep and read in the future.
- Inbox – any item received from a friend will be displayed here. Items will remain in the inbox until you Add it to your List or select Ignore it.
- Premium – paid for service which includes Full-Text Search, Suggested Tags, and a Permanent Archive of everything you save.
To save items using the app when in your web browser from the option menu select the Share via list:
The article saved article is now be listed in your Pocket account and appears as the first item in the list:
I found that the mobile app showcases the tool best as it provides greater freedom to login anywhere and anytime to view what you have saved without the need for an internet connection. This is a useful app for those long tube journeys when you wish you had access to the Internet!
SOAS BLE Blog: http://soasble.blogspot.co.uk